Monday, March 21, 2016

All For One!

And one for all!


These are the first of a number of dwarf musketeers, which I received through a kickstarter last year. They are from Iron Mask Miniatures. The size and style fits in well with GW/Citadel dwarves and Foundry dwarves. They come with separate hands and some bodies come with separate heads, but they fit together very well. And both the heads and the hands (with the deep gloves) have plenty of surface area in contact with the neck area and the ends of the arms so there's a good bond. I think they will hold up well to handling. I did replace the thin blades of a couple of the swords with pieces of wire from paperclips with the end filed to a dull point, but otherwise no pinning was needed for the heads or hands. With a variety of heads and hands and bodies there are almost endless ways you can put them together. Lots of character, too, with options like hands holding items other than swords.

There are also some character figures and a number of musketeers mounted on shaggy ponies.

The kickstarter for this project was run by Gary Price, and you could tell it was a labor of love. And it was well-run. I will definitely keep an eye out for any future projects in this line.

These guys are the reason I was on the lookout for swashbuckling/3 Musketeers sorts of rules. I picked up Two Hour Wargames' By Savvy and Steel to try out (one of these days!), and also Flashing Steel by Ganesha Games. I haven't tried out either set of rules yet...

6 comments:

  1. Huzzah! These guys look like a lot of fun! I will have to look into Iron Mask Miniatures (because, you know, I don't have enough stuff already!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Just looked up Iron Mask Miniatures and found his blog and found the miniatures are based on drawing by Colin Upton - a comic geek friend of mine!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, gentlemen! That's really cool, Tim! Now, shouldn't you support your friend... ha ha

    Sadly, one of the character figures I am cleaning up now was poorly cast, so I am having to carve chunks out of the miniature to remove the misaligned mold lines. I hate when that happens. But I think I can get it looking decent enough that my usual heavy paint job will obscure the imperfections in the casting. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SHOULD have! I guess I wasn't aware that he had helped design these.

      Delete
    2. Though now that I think about it there may have been something on his facebook page some time ago about it...

      I probably looked at the kickstarter and figured I couldn't justify the expense for something I had no immediate need for... or, more likely, it was just after some other big purchase and I thought "If I buy any more stuff this month my wife will kill and/or divorce me" and so I didn't and then just forgot about it entirely...?!

      I am glad YOU (and apparently enough other people) supported it and made it happen!

      Delete