Friday, February 23, 2018

More Construction

I finished some more building pieces - I did some with wood paneling on the lower portions, a couple of stair pieces, a "riser" to lift the ground floor off the ground a little (one of the stair pieces can be placed next to this to give access to the building), a sort of lean-to addition (can be a market stall, too), and some longer upper story pieces that overhang the standard buildings, as well as making it so I can use a couple of narrow pieces with a wider piece on top to create a sort of opening or pass-thru.

Here is an overview of the completed pieces along with the ones I did previously:
And a closer shot of most of the new pieces, with a better look at the wood paneled sections and the stair pieces:

You can see how the riser lifts the one building a bit higher than its neighbor.

As far as construction goes, I am making them starting with a shell made from foamcore; with balsa wood added for the timbers and wood panels and doors; leaded glass windows made from cross-stitching plastic grating cut at a 45 degree angle; roofs made from chipboard/cardboard with cereal box cardboard shingles and various bits of wood and cardboard for the chimneys and chimney pots. The plastering between the timbers is foam putty/hobbilite filler (basically the same lightweight filler/putty from different manufacturers - it's made for working with foam and sets up lightweight but sturdy enough).

Next on the building plan, I hope to add some stonework pieces.

6 comments:

  1. Wow they certainly look the part Fitz all your effort was well worth it, having some of them lifted with a stairs up to them is a idea I really like as not only does it add some different, its also good from a gaming point of view giving cover or a place to dodge behind to get out of sight : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frank!

      That's a good thought about using the staircases for cover.

      Delete
  2. Great work - looks like a good spot for some skirmishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack!

      Hopefully there will be some skirmishes soon. I plan to use Pulp Alley, probably with my dwarf musketeers vs. the "fancy" orcs.

      Delete
  3. Nice mix of materials, more than one level is always good. I build mine in a similar way, foamcore balsa card, I use the aluminium mesh for windows, you get it from the car repair shop, next to the matt black spray paint!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain!

      I got some wire mesh from the art store (often used for creating armatures for larger sculpts), but the cross stitch grating is more pronounced so I felt it suits these better.

      Now the question for me is whether to paint some more figures first or make some more buildings. I want to add some stonework pieces for variety and for certain structures like a tower and walls, but I'm still experimenting with methods for doing that.

      Delete