Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Under Construction

I have been working on some buildings to use with my dwarf musketeers and other figures. They are still under construction, and more are planned, but I wanted to show what I've done so far. I have made them in pieces so they can be arranged in various ways. Here are the pieces that are nearly finished:

And here is a street scene with a dwarf musketeer dueling with a Foundry Casting Room fancy orc.

And a wider shot showing more of the buildings.

I have more of the "fancy orcs" in progress on the painting table. They are fun to paint and I'm going wild with the colors, making them as bright and clashing as I can. More buildings are planned as well, including some with stonework (once I work out how I want to do that), and some with more wood siding and/or a mix of wood siding and half-timbering.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Fitz, they look fab but you said they could be mix around, does that mean you can put different tops on different bottoms ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To some extent, Frank. I am trying to make them in a few standard sizes. Most are about 3 inches by 4 inches, so any of those pieces (including roofs) can stack in any way. I am also making some other pieces that can stack and overhang the lower floors, or can stack on 2 smaller pieces to make a sort of arch or passage.

      Then there are some of the smaller pieces (2x3, 3x3, etc.) which could go on top of a 3x4 pieces with a narrow roof piece to fill up the missing area.

      Once I get more done I will try to take some pics in different configurations to show what I mean.

      This is just the beginning! I have so many ideas for expansions and extra bits - such as "risers" to lift the first floor above ground level a bit; stairs to place next to buildings, for upper story access; and assorted street items to dress up a scene and provide obstacles and cover and make places look lived in.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and as each story is separate they can be one story buildings, or 2 or 3 or whatever (probably wouldn't go higher than 3 for the most part through). Another set of pieces I am working on will be able to be stacked as a taller tower (clock tower/bell tower/watch tower), but I'm still working out how I want to finish that off (not half-timber or wood; but some sort of stonework I think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be able to get as much use as you can from terrain is something I always aim for Fitz, the way you done things here is great for that as been able to change thing around makes it easy to set up different towns that will look more then I just moved the buildings a round, I look forward to seen more : )

      Delete
  3. Wow, great looking buildings so far, love modular, I do end up doing one off mostly, I like the fancy ork too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain!

      Yeah, I've done one off buildings in the past, but decided I wanted to try modular for more options and flexibility this time.

      I have more of the orc's compatriots on the painting desk. Maybe I will try to finish them up over the next week (or however long it takes).

      Delete