Saturday, December 21, 2019

Orcs In Shorts

Orcs In Shorts is what the kickstarter called them.

"A range of 28mm scale white metal Orc miniatures inspired by WWII Desert Rats."
From the kickstarter by Miniaturemen

The miniatures were a bit rough, but that's okay for orcs. Most of them had separate heads and arms, or in a few cases, separate weapons with hands. The heads had a concave back and sort of fit onto a nodule representing the neck. The arms had just flat joins. I used superglue to glue the pieces together and sprinkled baking soda on the joins while the glue was still wet. In my experience that creates good solid joins.

I painted these in 2 batches of about 13 minis each. I did some basic color schemes, with khaki for most of them and gray for the "commandos", followed by a wash of GW's Reikland Flesh, and then a few touches for the teeth and eyes. Simple and dirty, suitable for orks.

There is the main officer (captain?) and 2 other leaders (sergeants?).



A number of ork boyz armed with various guns, some with axes, too.





Some heavier weapons

And a squad of commando types with knives.


Group shot of the whole lot.

15 comments:

  1. Fun figures, whatever next ? Orcs get everywhere in time and space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They certainly do seem to get into everything.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely priceless! What a great set and beautifully rendered Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were pretty quick and fun to paint.

      Delete
  3. Superb brushwork. I imagine them fighting some lycanthropes of the Weremacht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe so. For now, I do have some sci-fi dwarves (not GW) and other sci-fi types such as human security forces. I just need to find some good (and simple) rules that allow me to use all the different figures I may have.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain!

      Painting has slowed a bit while I get other minis ready for painting eventually.

      Delete
  5. These are kind of neat! You have quite the collection of awful green things from outer space developing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ha, yeah, that's true. Just need to find ways to get them into games.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that the truth. Even though I DO play a lot of games... I still have LOADS of minis I've painted that I'll probably never get on the tabletop!? It's occurred to me that I really love collecting and painting and organizing miniatures -and IMAGINING games and scenarios they could be used in... but actually PLAYING with them is very definitely a secondary concern. I'm always delighted when I do get to play with minis, though (especially ones I've just painted and am still excited about!).

      Looks like you're well on your way to a 40K ork army. Just need to show up at a GW store and plop them on the table and watch peoples brains break.

      Delete
    3. You may have seen them, but Kromlech makes some WW2 German inspired Space Ork equipment - there's an armoured car based on the sdkfz 222 and APCs based on the 251s... Maybe you could get those and some Afrika Orks and refight the battles of the Western Desert using orks!

      Delete
    4. Oh, yeah, I know what you mean about imagining games and scenarios! I do that all the time while I'm painting.
      LOL about the 40K ork army!

      Yeah, I should check out the Kromlech stuff again. One of my imaginings was using the orks and some of my sci-fi dwarves to do some "Rat Patrol" kind of games. (may never come to pass though, like many of my ideas) :D

      Delete
    5. Oooh! Rat Patrol would be fun! There are lots of SAS jeeps and LRDG trucks out there now... mind you, trying to get a chubby little dwarf into one might be a challenge... Maybe if you could find some old Gorkamorka buggies or trucks...?

      Delete
    6. Yeah, I was thinking realistic jeeps might not look right with dwarves. But some sort of light vehicles, probably with some sort of mounted gun, could work, especially if the vehicles were a bit over the top/cartoonish. (Too bad World War Toon doesn't seem to have any lighter vehicles. Seems they mostly do tanks.) I'll keep my eye out for toy vehicles and other options.

      Delete