Assorted troopers from Diehard miniatures by Tim Prow. I'm not totally convinced about the gray color scheme, but it was fairly easy to do, and looks different from other sci-fi armored troops I have. I'm also unsure about leaving the faceplates black or making them some other color.
"I thought we were getting white armor?"
"HQ tried it out and said it was too fiddly and hard to get it clean"
(here is a test figure; I think it did look kind of cool, but, yeah, it was hard to paint in some areas and I didn't want to do bunch of minis this way. I had started on a few more and ended up stripping the paint off of them part way through.)
"These dark gray uniforms look kind of sinister don't they?"
"Does this mean we're the baddies?"
(I guess it might depend on the game/scenario? Or how I use the minis? Or if I put some color on the faceplates; like if I made them red, that might look more sinister? What about a green or a blue or something?)



Nice figures. Looks like you've used almost all the 50 shades there.
ReplyDeleteThanks! 4 or 5 anyway, plus black and some washes. :D
DeleteThese have turned out very well indeed. I have never been happy with large areas of white, I seem to always make it look grubby so definitely the right choice here.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Yeah, the more I look at them the more I think they are fine in gray. It certainly makes more sense for combat. The white would stand out in most environments. Not to mention being tricky to paint well.
DeleteThe Grey looks fine. White is hard. I almost always use a Vallejo Stone Grey (which is a very light warm grey) and then just highlight it with an off-white (ivory?). it turns out good-enough-for-me...
ReplyDeleteTim Prow sounded familiar and I thought he might have been a figure designer for GW... but when I looked him up it turned out he was a figure painter at GW and didn't start designing minis until later!?
I got looking through the diehard minis... and.. I swear there are some old, OLD citadel minis in there... did he buy the masters and rights to produce them or just sculpt his own NEARLY IDENTICAL "homages" to some classic minis!?
Thanks!
DeleteYep, Tim Prow goes back to GW days of old. Some of the minis do look like some of the old Citadel (there is a chaos dwarf that definitely rings a bell), but like you say, I'm not sure if he bought the masters or sculpted similar ones. He does say Oldhammer is in his veins, and that's part of what I like about his minis. I also like that they are metal.
But mostly I have been getting in on his sci-fi kickstarters, and have been quite happy with what I have gotten from them. Some minis have been multi-part, which is not my favorite thing, but otherwise I really love that I have been able to get a bunch of different poses and characters, even when a good few look like they are part of the same group. Like these ones in gray; no two figures are exactly the same (although a few are variations or modifications on a pose or base model), I have a half dozen more of the gray team on my desk right now. Then other types to come.
And the most recent kickstarter to be delivered later this year to add more to my pile.