Saturday, October 21, 2023

Rangers (or Bandits)

Various rangers from Midlam Miniatures. These are metal figures. I think they could also work as your typical wilderness bandits, too. Do they seem more foul or more fair?


I primed them in gray gesso; then did a heavy dry-brush in white gesso. Then blocked in mostly various greens and browns and fleshtones, and to be honest, wasn't super careful about getting the paint just right or within the "lines", as it were, figuring the next step would help cover up minor discrepancies. Next, I covered them in Army Painter's Light Tone wash. And after the wash, I painted the iron bits, such as the sword blades, and the gray of the arrow fletching. I think they don't look too bad for tabletop use.


17 of them was kind of a lot to paint at once, but for this lot it seemed to make sense to do it that way.





6 comments:

  1. They look very good Fitz, when you have so many to paint you have to go for a happy middle ground imho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Frank!
    Especially since I am not a fast painter. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking speed painted rangers, they've come out really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain!
      Speed painting probably works better for some figures than for others. With these it was a lot of greens and browns, so I didn't have to be quite as careful with them as I might need to be with more saturated or contrasty colors.

      Delete
  4. These are fantastic!! They seem more foul than fair to me! Maybe they could be like Robing Hoods Merry Band of Men!

    Darker, drabber shades - blacks, dark browns, deep olive drab - could have made them look like nastier criminal sorts and bandits. The brighter green reads a s "good guys" to me...

    But perhaps that is their ruse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't not paint them in woodland greens and browns, since they were labeled as rangers. The possibility of being bandits didn't occur to me until later. :P
      But I do like the ambiguity, and the potential for doing double duty, as it were. :)

      Delete