Saturday, June 22, 2019

Bugs!

My first box/batch "bugs", from the boardgame, Myth (I think they are called crawlers in that game). There are basically 2 slightly different soft plastic models (they come assmbled). I loosely based the color scheme on some images I found online of blue crabs. The main color is turquoise with a fairly strong blue wash and some drybrushing, blue metallic on the head shell and the ends of the legs, red/orange on the "arms", and bronze eyes/eyespots. (Foundry dwarf for scale - they're about the same height as GW dwarves, albeit generally even bulkier)



(the rock formation is another cardboard insert from some electronics - I will probably base it and paint it at some point)

Each box of these contains 10 figures, so I ordered a 2nd box to make sure I have enough for games like Operation Last Train.

Edited to add the 2nd batch of bugs. I tried a few in red just to see how that would look. I could always use them as soldier versions or something.


8 comments:

  1. Great work - they're nasty looking things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I needed a few "bugs" for some games, and someone alerted me to these plastic ones from the Myth boardgame. 2 boxes, 10 minis each, worked out to less than 1.5 dollars US. I wanted to do a quick paint job (or quick for me) without a lot of time spent on small details. They are suitably alien and nasty-looking.

      Delete
  2. So who doesn't love bugs Fitz ? & as you said they are alien & nasty looking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frank! They were a good deal for filling up a quota of bugs for certain games, like the above mentioned Operation Last Train, and can be used as relatively low level "nasties" in all sorts of sci-fi or fantasy scenarios. And I wanted to keep the painting pretty simple so I didn't have to spend a lot of time on them, but still make it look decent for tabletop play.

      Delete
  3. Nice little swarm of creepy bug things!

    I love swarms of mono-colour aliens. I picked up a pile of old Kryomech aliens years back, painted them black, dry-brushed dark grey to highlight details, applied finish and called them done! Fastest paint job ever! They look a lot like Giger's aliens from the Alien movies.

    Seeing this blue on these, though, I kind of wish I'd done mine in a brighter colour... the black makes them look like terrestrial insects - the blue somehow actually looks more "alien", to me! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tim!

    I have the second box waiting to be painted. I'm trying to decide if I want to paint them blue as well or go for a different color scheme (but still simple) on this 2nd batch.

    In the meantime I have been painting some terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking bugs! I like the electric blue!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have the second batch started with a basecoat of black gesso; still trying to decide if I want to try painting them different from the first batch or not.

      Delete