Thursday, June 27, 2019

GW 40K Terrain Pieces

These are thermic plasma conduits (2 packs) and regulators (1 pack) from GW. I think they were originally sold for use with Kill Team? But I intend them for use in various generic sci-fi skirmish games.

I started off with a base coat of black gesso, then a heavy drybrush of "rough iron" paint (an Army Painter paint color) for the main overall color which gave it a nice heavy duty industrial look, then various bronzes/coppers, blues, reds and gray, to do a bit of detailing. I was trying to keep things fairly simple, as game pieces rather than focal points for dioramas or the like.

So I set up assorted figures from my collection of sci-fi minis - just randomly, no actual game in progress (so far).







8 comments:

  1. Nice! They are really handy linear terrain for SF games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's what I thought. They seem to kind of act as walls, good for cover, and not easy to clamber over. Seemed like 2 sets would give me plenty of options, too. Could use a few more bends and other bits, but I hope to see how I get on with what I have for now.

      Delete
    2. Two was a good choice. I only got one - or the equivalent of one box in whichever set it came in (Sector Mechanics Kill Zone?) and I feel pretty limited in where I can make it go... mind you, in practical terms, the playing area for Kill Team is very small, so it hasn't really felt THAT limiting on that size of board so far... I will eventually pick up a second myself, but I have so many other terrain bits to paint before I can justify that!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, if I could pick pieces individually I'd give up some of the little pipe end pieces which I'm not sure I have much use for and maybe pick up more of the bend pieces. But I think I have enough for now. I am glad I painted them all in one go though; not sure I could replicate the paint job. ha ha

      Delete
  2. Cracking paint job Fitz, the pieces are not unfamiliar to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mostly a lot of drybrushing with metallics, and a bit of detailing. Do you have some of these pieces, too?

      Delete
  3. Nice finish on some useful bits of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully they will come in useful and see some action.

      Delete